Expressions, and Idioms
1. How do you do? How are you?
How do you do?
I'm fine. Thank you.
That's all right!
Do not mention it.
I am an English teacher. What do you do?
What are you doing?
What do you make?
What are you making?
How do you do?
3. As cold as ... a winter night
4. If something is 'crystal clear', it is ... very clear
not clear at all
5. Children like ... . Sometimes it is not easy to find them. playing truant
to play truant
watching the news
to watch the news
6. Rome was not built in a ... day
7. I'd like a glass of ... coffee, that is, a glass of milk/cream and coffee. black
8. My wife hates ... jokes. She thinks they are of bad taste. green
9. Would you like some more dessert?
No, thank you. I'm ... fed up
10. Home, ... home. bitter
11. I think I have fallen ... . She is so sweet, beautiful, funny ha-ha, intelligent. I can't wait to see her again. in love
into a deep depression
12. If someone loves things that contain sugar, he or she has a ... bitter tooth
13. An eye for ... an ear
14. See you later, ...! terminator
15. Mum: Happy birthday, sweetheart!
Son: Thank you so much for the birthday present. I love it. Happy endings!
Many happy days!
Many happy returns of the day!
Many more birthdays!
16. Ready, ...! finish, go
17. That man over there has a heart of ... . He's a very charming person. platinum
18. Love me, love my ... dog
19. If someone is extremelly poor, we say that he or she is as poor as ... a churchgoer
a church mouse
bacon and eggs
fish and chips
20. He used to be ..., but now he is rich, and everybody adores him. the black dog of the family
the yellow chicken of the family
the white sheep of the yard
the black sheep of the family
the black cat of the family