Els compostos de some i any actuen de la mateixa manera que some i any, šo Ús, some-, per a l'afirmativa i, any-, per a la interrogativa i la negativa, tot i que usem some- en la interrogativa en peticions, en oferiments o quan esperem una resposta afirmativa, com vÓrem veure a la unitat anterior. Exemples:
I saw somebody there. (Vaig veurÚ alg˙ allÝ.)
I did not see anybody there. (No vaig veure ning˙ allÝ.)
Did you see anybody there? (┐Vas veure alg˙ allÝ?)
Would you like something better? (┐Vols alguna cosa millor?)
En comptes de I did not see anybody there, tambÚ es pot dir I saw nobody there, per˛ no podem negar dues vegades: *I did not see nobody there.
Somebody, someone i anybody signifiquen el mateix que anyone, nobody i no-one respectivament. No-one s'escriu tambÚ no one.
Any pot significar tambÚ "qualsevol":
You can take any pencil. (Pots agafar qualsevol llapis / Pots agafar el llapis que vulgues.)
Anybody can do it. It's very easy. (Qualsevol sap fer-ho. ╔s molt fÓcil.)
Ja per acabar vegem els segŘentes exemples:
Somebody told me you were abroad. (Alg˙ em va dir que eres a l'estranger.)
Nobody came to the meeting. (Ning˙ no va anar / vindre a la reuniˇ.)
Was there anybody in the house? (┐Hi havia alg˙ a la casa?)
I want something to eat. (Vull alguna cosa de menjar.)
I don't need anything. (No necessite res.)
I need nothing. (No necessite res.)
Would you like something to drink? (┐Vols alguna cosa per beure?)
Is there anything in that drawer? (┐Hi ha alguna cosa en aquell calaix?)
I want to go somewhere else. (Vull anar a un altre lloc.)
I didn't go anywhere. (No vaig anar enlloc.)
I went nowhere. (No vaig anar enlloc.)
Have you seen my car keys anywhere? (┐Has vist les claus del cotxe enlloc?)
Ompli els espais en blanc amb somebody, anybody, nobody, something, anything, nothing, somewhere, anywhere o nowhere.
1. I know __________ about this issue that you may find interesting, but if I tell you, you must promise to keep it (a) secret.
2. __________ lives here. There is no water.
3. I spent the night __________ near the beach.
4. __________ could have jumped over this wall, and stole your rake. It's very low.
5. __________ scares him. He's very brave.
6. There is __________ to park here. Let's go __________ else to park.
7. Would you like __________ to wash your hands?.
8. May I have __________ for dessert, please?
9. They took him __________ in London, and he never returned.
10. Please don't leave __________ behind at home. We'll be away for a fortnight.
11. She needs __________ to love. She's very lonely.
12. They will not sing __________ in this city. They said that they would never come back.
13. There isn't __________ you can do to help them. __________ can help them.
14. We do not need __________ else to run this department. We can do it ourselves.
15. __________ is ringing the bell. Go and see who it is.
16. __________ phoned while we were out, but they did not leave a message.
17. __________ tells me that there is __________ fishy going on .
18. They are looking for __________ to settle down and have children. They want to find a quiet place to lead a quiet life.
19. "Where would you like to stay?"
"__________ will do provided it is a clean place."
20. "Is there __________ at home?"
"I don't think there is __________. Mum and dad must have gone out."
Autor: Miquel Molina i Diez
Solucions: (Et recordem que en lloc de anybody, nobody i somebody, es pot utilitzar anyone, no-one i someone respectivament.)
2. Nobody (Nothing Ús tambÚ possible si volem fer la cosa mÚs drÓstica.)
5. Nothing / Nobody (La primera alternativa potser siga millor, per˛ aix˛ depÚn del context.)
6. nowhere, somewhere
13. anything, Nobody
17. Something, something
20. anybody, anybody