1. She ... politicians and bankers, that is to say, she loathes them. According to her, they took her house, and left her with nothing and no future. has no time for
has a lot of time for
has a great time with
2. If something happens very rarely we say that it happens... in the heat of the moment
a stitch in time
once in a blue moon
at the eleventh hour
3. I think George will ..., so we'd better not say a word to him, or else our plan is doomed to failure. cook the potatoes
spill the beans
smash the onions
tell tales on them
beat about the bush
4. Come on, Martha! You ...! That's nothing! Please stop crying! are killing two birds with one stone
were born yesterday
are cooking the books
are miles away
are making a mountain out of a molehill
5. What's the name of that lady over there?
I can't remember now, but it's ... at the back of my mouth
at the front of my mouth
on the tip of my tongue
in my mouth
at the end of my tongue
6. Don't go out now! It's raining ... cats and dogs
bacon and eggs
pigs and horses
7. I was very thirsty and starving hungry, and then I saw that apple tree, which made my mouth ... dribble
8. He's going to ... . He's got a terrible cancer. play the trumpet
score a goal
kick a penalty goal
kick the bucket
break the ice
9. Don't drink that coffee yet, or you will burn your tongue. It's ... hot. going
10. She didn't ... when they fired her. She just said, 'OK!', and left. open her mouth
bat an eyelid
scratch her head
bite her fingernails
blow her nose
11. I told her a ... lie because I did not want her to suffer. blue
12. Whenever I see her, I am on cloud ... one
13. Will you please stop pulling my ... ...? (= Please stop teasing me right now!) ears, right away
nose, once and for all
head, for the last time
arm, another time
leg, once and for all
14. ... a day keeps the doctor away. A carrot
15. Money ... speaks
16. Please do not invite him to the party. He is ... a sack of cement
a pack of lies
an old crock
a wet blanket
a dry towel
17. If I win the tournament, I'll buy a luxury car... Don't go thirsty!
Don't inflate the wheels!
Don't put all your eggs in one basket!
Don't lay the table before dinner is ready!
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched!
18. As a rule of ..., you add two handfuls per person. hand
19. My husband lost his job last month because of the financial crisis, and we can hardly ... make ends meet.
buy a luxury car.
strike the hour.
20. The ... and bolts of something. almonds
21. I am saving this money for a ... day. sunny